Error Creating Control - Value cannot be null

Jun 25, 2007 at 8:49 AM
Hi,

I have been trying to use the Multimedia Field Control but I did not succeed. I walked through the Installation Instructions in the MultimediaFieldControlSample.doc file. Everything went fine except at the last part where I have to use SharePoint Designer to add the Multimedia Field Control. I drag the control and drop it in any place in the page. The control displays the following error: Error Creating Control - MutilmediaWebControl1 Value cannot be null.

I cannot figure out what am I doing wrong...

Any ideas!
Coordinator
Jul 4, 2007 at 11:46 PM
Hi,

this appears to be a fault. We will try and get a fix out in the next week or so.

s.
Sep 17, 2007 at 8:15 AM
Hi,

What was the problem and how did you solve it. I have built a field control that inherits RichHtmlField. In SP Designer I get the same error as above "Error Creating Control - name Value cannot be null." How did you solve this problem?

//Stefan
Sep 17, 2007 at 8:15 AM
Edited Sep 17, 2007 at 8:16 AM
Hi,

What was the problem and how did you solve it. I have built a field control that inherits RichHtmlField. In SP Designer I get the same error as above "Error Creating Control - field Value cannot be null." How did you solve this problem?

//Stefan
Sep 18, 2007 at 6:43 AM
Hi,

Actually, I didn't. The control works even when you get this error.

I am working on a different thing now, though.
Sep 18, 2007 at 7:58 AM
Yes I know but it looks bad.
Jul 8, 2008 at 4:29 AM
Edited Jul 9, 2008 at 6:29 AM
I'd be grateful if someone could advise how to resolve this issue? This field control has been implemented in a SharePoint site and whilst it was working OK, it is now presenting this issue whenever I try to update existing pages hosting the control or create new pages.

I need to fix this issue to prepare a demo site ASAP.

Thanks,

Chris

This is the error that is returned within the SharePoint site:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Failed to set value of the "Media and flash player" column on the "Multimedia" field type control.  See details in log. Exception message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object..

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Failed to set value of the "Media and flash player" column on the "Multimedia" field type control.  See details in log. Exception message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object..

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SPException: Failed to set value of the "Media and flash player" column on the "Multimedia" field type control.  See details in log. Exception message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object..]
Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.BaseFieldControl.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +2391
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +47
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +131
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1061